Dr Sommerfeld completed his undergraduate medical training at the University of Queensland and pursued his radiology specialist
training at the Mater Public and Princess Alexandra Hospitals in Brisbane. Winning the Uhr-Clarke Bursary in 2003, Dr Sommerfeld
became a fellow of RANZCR in 2004.
Dr Sommerfeld continues to practice part-time as a Staff Specialist at Nambour General Hospital, presenting the weekly Intensive Care meeting and participating in the thoracic malignancy multi-disciplinary team.
Nigel performs a range of interventional procedures:
• Percutaneous nephrostomies
• Ante grade ureteric stents
• Percutaneous cholecystostomies
• IVC filters
• Cervical, thoracic and lumbar nerve root blocks
• Celiac and splanchnic neurolysis
• Transthoracic Needle Biopsies
• Thoracic and abdominal drainages.